Best Sensory tummy time Ideas for your baby
Babies learn through all of their senses. Exposing them to different sound, sight and texture fulfils their craving. Here are few sensory play ideas you can do at-home:
- Use some fresh herbs like mint or rosemary in a tray to stimulate your baby’s sense of smell. –
- If you have an herb garden at home, cut a variety of herbs and place them into a shallow plastic container. (If you don't have a garden, pick up a few herbs the next time you drop by the grocery store).
- Put your baby on tummy
- Put the container with herbs in front of her. She may not have completely mastered grabbing objects yet, but she may start to explore and touch them with her hands.
- Describe the herbs and what they smell like as Test explores them (ex: "Smell the rosemary! It's so fresh and earthy").
- When you're done, make sure to wash baby’s hands to remove any lingering plant oils
- Box O Ribbon –
- Turn a large cardboard box on its side so that the opening is facing you.
- Cut a variety of ribbons, yarn or string and tape one end of each ribbon to the top of the box opening so that they dangle down the opening like a curtain in front of Test.
- Put your baby on tummy so that she is see the hanging ribbons and encourage her to reach for them.
- You can try describing what she is doing and feeling, shaking the ribbons, or tickling her feet or hands with them to keep her engaged.
- Fill a sturdy zip-locked plastic bag with some water and rings or small balls in it, lock it properly and tape it to the floor and let your baby have fun with it. You may also use ice-cubes in zip-locked bag.
- Sensory book – Place the sensory book in front of your baby and lay them on their stomach. Let her explore the crinkle sound, different texture and squeaky sound.
- Fly and hide –
- Lie on your back and place your baby on your tummy so that she is facing you.
- Securely wrap your hands around her torso and ask, "Where's Test?"
- Raise your baby over your head so that she is looking down at you and say, "There you are!"
- Lower your baby back to your stomach and begin the game again.