It’s never to late too start Math with your little one
Mostly we take Math as a complex subject which needs to be taught at a certain age in a certain manner and therefore, we think baby brain can’t handle the complexity of the subject. But it’s not true! Just like we can incorporate language/ reading in our daily routine we can also talk about simple mathematical concepts to our babies. Let’s read about how we can talk math to our babies with these basic concepts;
- Numbers - Understanding the quantity part, one-to-one correspondence (that one object corresponds to one number), counting etc.
- “Look you have TWO eyes, ONE nose”
- “We bought FOUR apples”
- “You are eating ONE slice of cake”
- Geometry - Understanding of shapes and spatial relationship
- “Look these cookies are ROUND/ CIRCLE”
- ”The bread slice is SQAURE”
- ”The sandwich is in TRIANGLE shape”
- Measurement - Size, weight, time etc
- “That tree is TALL, this tree is SHORT”
- ”Do you want MORE cookies?”
- ”These block toys are so HEAVY, this car is LIGHT”
Read a book with your baby or take a walk outside, math concepts are everywhere and can be eaily incorporated in your baby’s routine. Make a list of math talk words and phrases. Post it on the refrigerator or somewhere else handy to remind you to take advantage of math talk opportunities.
Math talk enriches everyday learning experiences for infants and toddlers. You’ll be surprised at how much they know and can learn. Your math talk today can help your children be successful in math as they get older.